What is a Cookie?
A cookie is a piece of information that is held on the hard drive of your computer which records how you have used a website. Cookies allow website operators to accumulate useful information, such as whether the computer (and sometimes its user) has visited the site before. This is done on a repeat visit by checking to see, and finding, the cookie left there on the last visit.
Why we use the following cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are necessary for our website to function and are always active. They help make the website usable by enabling you to navigate and access all areas of our website. We may also use these cookies to prevent fraudulent activity. Without these cookies, you cannot use the British Swimming website.
Analytical/performance cookies: These cookies allow us to cope with the volume of users and correct errors by understanding how visitors interact with and move around our website. They allow us to count unique visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
Functionality cookies: These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation. They may be set by us or by a third party provider whose services we have added to our website. If you do not allow these cookies then some areas of the website may not function properly.
Cookies used on our website:
Name | Essential | Supplier | Expiry Length | Use
- britishSwimmingCookie | Yes | British Swimming | 1 Year | Set by British Swimming to remember cookie preference
- ga-disable-XXX-X | Yes | British Swimming | 1 Year | Set by British Swimming to implement cookie preference
- csrftoken | Yes | British Swimming | 1 year | Set by British Swimming to allow users to login to admin
- __cf_bm | Yes | fonts.net | 1 day | Set by fonts.net to distinguish between real users and bots
- _ga | No | Google | 2 years | Set by Google Analytics to distinguish between users
- _gid | No | Google | 24 hours | Set by Google Analytics to distinguish between users
- _gat_UA-XXX-X | No | Google | 1 minute | Set by Google Analytics to throttle request rates
- _fbp | No | Facebook | 90 days | Set by Facebook to identify browsers
- datr | No | Facebook | 2 years | Set by Facebook to identify browsers
- wd | No | Facebook | 7 Days | Set by Facebook to optimise the rendering of the page.
- dpr | No | Facebook | 7 Days | Set by Facebook to optimise the rendering of the page.
- personalization_id, _ga_BYKEBDM7DS, _ga, guest_id_ads, mbox, guest_id_marketing, guest_id | Yes | Twitter | 2 years | Set by Twitter to provide services
- at_check | Yes | Twitter | Session | Set by Twitter to provide services
- ct0 | Yes | Twitter | Session | Set by Twitter to provide services
- _abck, MCPopupClosed, OptanonConsent, _mcid, MCPopupSubscribed | Yes | Mail Chimp | 1 year | Set by Mail Chimp to provide services
- bm_sz | Yes | Mail Chimp | 4 hour | Set by Mail Chimp to provide services
- ak_bmsc, bm_sv | Yes | Mail Chimp | 2 hours | Set by Mail Chimp to provide services
Setting your preferences
Please be aware that restricting cookies may have a significant impact upon the functionality of our website.
Cookies do not cause harm to your computer but if you do wish to stop your computer accepting cookies, go to the help section of your Internet browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox etc.) where you will find information on how to do this. Alternatively, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org for further information.