Great Britain team selection policies are usually published in October each year however British Swimming have decided to review this process for the 2020-21 season due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
All our published selection policies have two clear objectives which we do our best to maintain:
i) Provide a fair and reasonable chance of selection for all eligible swimmers; and
ii) Publish policies in advance so that the swimming community can plan accordingly.
With so much uncertainty due the Covid-19 pandemic - the disruption to daily training environments, the cancelling of key domestic and international competitions over the past six months, and the uncertain competition schedules up until the end of the year; the Performance Leadership Group (PLG) in consultation with the Home Nation performance leads have decided to delay the publication of the following policies until December 2020.
- 2021 Olympic Games (in consultation with the British Olympic Association)
- 2021 European Championships
- 2021 European Open Water Championships
- 2021 European Junior Championships
- 2021 European Junior Open Water Championships
- 2021 World Junior Championships
- 2021 World Junior Open Water Championships
- 2021 World University Games (in consultation with British Universities and Colleges Sport)
In addition to the ongoing logistical challenges, the British Swimming World Class Programme is also facing financial uncertainties and the PLG reserves the right not to send teams to all the above events in 2021. The PLG will endeavour to maintain similar structured policies to those published in previous years, however this may not be possible due to changing circumstances.
The PLG is committed to keeping communication lines open during these uncertain times. For any further information regarding selection policies please do not hesitate to contact Adam Clarke, Head of Performance Services, on email@example.com.