It can take athletes years to develop the skills and competitive maturity required to win medals in the world’s toughest sporting arenas. In recognising this UK Sport’s approach to funding reflects that journey and works on the basis of an athlete pathway with three clear and distinct levels that make up the World Class Pathway.
Podium and Podium Potential Programmes
The two major components of the World Class Swimming Programme are the Podium and Podium Potential programmes. The Home Countries (Swim England, Swim Wales and Scottish Swimming) manage the Talent level programme, with links into the Podium Potential programme, with all aiming to work cohesively to provide a seamless World Class Pathway.
- Podium - supports athletes possessing genuine and strong medal potential at the next Olympic Games in Paris 2024 (a maximum of four years away from the Podium).
- Podium Potential - comprises athletes whose performances indicate they have realistic capabilities for making the Olympic Team in 2024 and medal potential at those Games or in 2028.
- Talent - designed to support the identification and confirmation of athletes who have the potential to progress through the World Class Pathway.
Investment guidelines for membership of the Podium and Podium Potential Programmes for the year 1st October 2023 to 30th September 2024 can be found here:
- Athlete Investment Guidelines 2023-2024
- A large font version of the Athlete Investment Guidelines 2023-2024 is available here.
- An audio version will be available to listen to via this page very shortly.
The British Swimming Funding Appeal Review Procedure can be found here: