A total of 25 athletes have been selected to form part of the British Diving World Class Programme (WCP) for the 2019/20 season, as the aquatics world builds towards Tokyo 2020 and beyond.
Following a successful season, in which a number of competitions held great importance towards securing quota places for diving disciplines at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, a strong squad have been selected onto the World Class Programme after a thorough assessment of their ability to win medals at both this and future Olympics.
The athletes are split across Podium and Podium Potential tiers and will receive programme opportunities and targeted financial assistance from UK Sport through the World Class Performance Programme’s Athlete Performance Award (APA).
Athletes selected on to the World Class programmes are also eligible to receive training camp and competition opportunities throughout the selected season, as well as access to world-class sports science and medicine services, and comprehensive support from British Diving performance staff and national institute of sport programmes across the UK.
Of the 2019/2020 group, British Diving National Performance Director, Alexei Evangulov, said:
“This year the British Diving team participated in eleven senior and three junior events, each marked by great performances shown individually and as a team. British divers brought home medals from every single competition, which shows that the quality of diving in this country has risen, and I’m absolutely delighted by the strength and depth of the divers selected onto the programme as we go into the most important year of the quadrennial – the Olympic year.
“These performances have created a brilliant platform on which to build forward through 2020, as we ensure the support our athletes need is in place to retain Great Britain’s standing as one of the top diving nations in the world.”
British Diving Podium Programme Athletes
- Eden Cheng, Crystal Palace Diving (England)
- Tom Daley, Dive London (England)
- Daniel Goodfellow, City of Leeds Diving Club (England)
- Jack Laugher, City of Leeds Diving Club (England)
- Matty Lee, Dive London (England)
- Grace Reid, Dive London (Scotland)
- Katherine Torrance, City of Leeds (England)
- Lois Toulson, City of Leeds Diving Club (England)
British Diving Podium Potential Programme Athletes
- Phoebe Banks, City of Leeds (England)
- Desharne Bent-Ashmeil, Crystal Palace (England)
- Robyn Birch, Dive London (England)
- Ben Cutmore, Dive London (England)
- Matthew Dixon, Plymouth Diving Club (England)
- Anthony Harding, Leeds Diving (England)
- Yasmin Harper, City of Sheffield Diving Club (England)
- Ross Haslam, City of Sheffield Diving Club (England)
- James Heatly, Edinburgh Diving Club (Scotland)
- Jordan Houlden, Sheffield Diving (England)
- Emily Martin, Plymouth Diving Club (England)
- Scarlett Mew Jensen, Dive London (England)
- Maria Papworth, Dive London (England)
- Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix, Crystal Palace (England)
- Lucas Thomson, Edinburgh Diving Club (Scotland)
- Noah Williams, Dive London (England)
- Josie Zillig, Crystal Palace Diving (England)