The Christmas tree is up, decorations hanging on the walls and there's only a few advent calendar chocolates left to go... it's time to Fuel your Festive with a Mince Pie recipe from a three-time London 2019 gold medallist!
Tully Kearney added three world titles to her collection at the 2019 World Para Swimming Championships in September at the London Aquatic Centre and picked up a Pride of Sport award in recent weeks to cap an excellent year for the twenty-two year old. With this weeks Fuel my Friday the last before Christmas, Tully shares with us one if her favourite festive recipes.
Over to you Tully...
I have a few dietary restrictions but get great support from our nutritionist Stef so I don't have to miss out on any of my favourites at any time of the year - Stef is great at finding ways to adapt recipes for me!
At Christmas I love turkey, my mums homemade roasties and my granddads special stuffing which is made without onions and garlic so that I can eat it. For dessert vegan mince pies with soy cream are a go to in the festive period and you can treat yourself too with the recipe below.
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 65g white vegetable fat, cubed
- 65g dairy-free sunflower spread
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 411g jar mincemeat (vegan)
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Soy cream to serve
- To make the pastry, combine the flour and salt in a bowl before adding the vegetable fat and margarine. Rub together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in 1 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tbsp soy milk until the mixture comes together in large lumps, then bring together with your hands and knead gently in the bowl to make a smooth dough. Cover and leave to rest for 20 mins.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin. Cut out 12 x 8cm rounds using a plain or crinkle-edge cutter and gently press into a 12-hole tin.
- Spoon 1 tbsp mincemeat into each pastry base. Re-roll the pastry trimmings and cut out 12 assorted festive shapes to top the pies. Mix the remaining maple syrup and soy milk together and brush over the pastry shapes to glaze.
- Bake for 25 mins until lightly golden in the oven at 200°C (fan 180°C). Leave to cool for 10 mins before carefully removing from the tins and transferring to a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar enjoy served warm with some soy cream!