Fuel My Friday returns after a busy few weeks of aquatics competition and with a bank holiday weekend just around the corner we decided we needed something for the BBQ.
Before heading out to Mallorca for a camp, marathon swimming pro Jack Burnell handed over his homemade burger recipe just in time for the long weekend.
Over to you Jack…
Who doesn’t love a burger? On a sunny afternoon and fresh off the barbeque, a burger is the perfect treat and they’re still super nutritious, packed full of vital protein and vitamins if you follow my recipe below.
- 2 red onion
- 250g button mushrooms
- 2 large carrots
- 1 stick of celery
- 500g low minced beef (preferably 5%) – would work with any minced meat!
- Black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Plain flower on standby
- 1 little Gem lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- First finely dice the onions and mushrooms, grate the carrots and celery and chuck them all in a big mixing bowl.
- Get your hands dirty – throw in all of the minced beef and mixed it all together. As your combining it, sprinkle in some black pepper and parsley to give it even more flavour.
- Next you need to portion the mix up into balls, you can make them as big or small as you want, then flatten them and round them off into the perfect burger.
- Time to fire up the BBQ! Cook your burgers over a medium heat for roughly 10 mins turning occasionally, until browned on the outside and cooked through inside.
- Serve on a bed of the Baby Gem lettuce with the cherry toms and a couple of slices of cucumber.
- Enjoy and thank me later!