This week we caught up with last year’s Commonwealth and European medallist Hannah Miley, who shared a quick and easy homemade pizza recipe with us.
Pizza is probably my favourite food in the world, however I often had to save it for the end of a big training week or after a key meet, as fast food doesn’t really fit with my nutrition plan. However the recipe below is a game-changer!
Having worked with one of our nutritionists, Tiff, I now have a pizza recipe that can work any day of the week. This low calorie version can fit nicely between sessions or at the end of a long day. It’s quick and easy to make, and you can obviously customise it with your own toppings – I often add meat to boost my protein intake. I’ve even had this for breakfast on a Sunday with fruit and a bit of Nutella!
Anyway, here’s the recipe:
1.5 tbsp tomato puree
Handful mixed Mediterranean vegetables (peppers/courgette/red onion)
3 chopped sundried tomatoes
Optional portion of meat
- Prep your toppings and if you're going with Mediterranean veg grill these for a few minutes to part-cook them before they go on the tortilla
- Heat the tortilla wrap under the grill for a couple of minutes until softened
- Remove the tortilla from the grill, then spread on the tomato puree, sprinkle over a pinch of mixed dried herbs, then top with mozzarella (or a lactose/dairy-free alternative if your diet dictates this), your choice of toppings, a light drizzle of olive oil and a twist of black pepper.
- Tiff's favourite toppings are: grilled courgette, red onions, red peppers, garlic, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil (pictured) - a delicious combination, but I usually add chicken as well
- Return the tortilla to the grill for 5 mins until the cheese has melted and the toppings are cooked/coloured
- Serve with a nice side salad or just enjoy on its own