March is just around the corner and the British Para-Swimming International Meet (9th-12th April) is getting closer. So this week's Fuel My Friday takes a look at what one athlete might be using as fuel for the competition.
Double Rio 2016 silver medallist Tom Hamer will be hoping to secure his place in the team for a second Paralympic Games, after claiming S14 200m Freestyle silver at last year's World Para Swimming Championships.
As the Stockport Metro man continues his preparations for the Paralympic trial event in Sheffield, he has given us an insight into one of his favourite competition meals. Over to you, Tom...
My go-to race food is a noodle dish, like this teriyaki chicken example. It's good for fuelling and you can make a big batch to last for more than one meal!
- 500g chicken, sliced/diced
- 4 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 250g egg noodles
- 6-8 florets tenderstem broccoli
- 80g mangetout
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Sesame seeds, handful
- Mix the sliced/diced chicken with the teriyaki sauce and leave in the fridge to marinate while preparing other ingredients, or for 15 minutes.
- Cook the noodles as per pack instructions, before draining and tossing with the tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Add some oil to a large pan and cook the chicken, pouring in any teriyaki sauce marinade left in the bowl.
- Remove cooked chicken from the pan and add the broccoli and mangetout to fry for 2-4 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the cooked chicken and noodles to the vegetables and stir together.
- Serve with sliced spring onions and chilli on top, plus sesame seeds and salt and pepper seasoning if required.