Monday marks the start of Sugar Awareness Week in the UK - so platform diver Robyn Birch is on hand with a healthy breakfast and snack option in our latest Fuel My Friday entry.
Birch is set to be in action at the British Diving Championships in Plymouth next weekend (January 24th-26th), with good nutrition in the build-up and across competition days an important factor for the Dive London Aquatics athlete.
So, providing an alternative to sugary cereals, it's over to you, Robyn...
A healthy and nutritious breakfast is hugely important in aquatics sports, with plenty of early starts and morning training sessions.
My favourite option is overnight oats, which can be prepared really quickly the night before and are then there to be enjoyed the following morning, or at any point throughout the day as a sweet but nutritious treat.
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g porridge oats
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 100ml milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- drizzle of honey
- 3-4 strawberries/1 banana (chopped)
- The night before, stir the cinnamon, chia seeds, protein powder and 100ml milk into your oats in a jar or container.
- Leave overnight for the oats and seeds to absorb the milk.
- The next day, loosen the oats with a little more milk if needed. Top with natural yoghurt, a drizzle of honey and the chopped strawberries or banana (or any other fruit you fancy!)