Feel like some comfort food? Nothing does the trick quite like a plate of bangers and mash. This weeks Fuel My Friday puts a slight twist on a favourite of the nation.
Para-Swimming sensation Ellie Challis was named as the winner of SportsAid’s prestigious One-to-Watch Award at the back end of 2019, capping a year in which she broke a world record and won a bronze medal on her international debut at the World Championships in London.
This week she's provided the inspiration for Fuel my Friday as together we serve up a slight twist on a national classic.
Over to you Ellie...
Sausage and mash has been a long time favourite. It really reminds me of when we used to go on a family holiday to a caravan park in Yarmouth and my Uncle would make it for us.
Ingredients (serves four)
- 6 potatoes
- ½ cup warm milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and black pepper
- 8 sausages (of personal choice!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Peel your potatoes and cut into even sized pieces before putting on them on to boil in salted water for between 25-30 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile cook the sausages of your choice to package instructions in the oven.
- Drain the potatoes through a colander and pop back into the pot. Turn the hob down to a low level so that they don't burn, and add the milk, butter and seasoning before mashing well.
- To make the salsa, chop up the cherry tomatoes and slice the red onion and mix together and season.
- Next for the gremolata, mix the parsley, lemon zest and the olive oil.
- Serve it all up with the sausages on top of the mash with the salsa and gremolata.