With the London 2019 World Para Swimming Allianz Championships starting on Monday, Stephen Clegg begins his competition action in the S12 100m Backstroke.
Getting the right nutrition in the lead up to and during a competition is important for any athlete, and for this week’s Fuel my Friday European medallist Stephen Clegg shares his blueprint to a classic chicken burrito.
Over to you Stephen…
I really a chicken burrito filled with peppers and onions as it’s super easy to make and pretty healthy to.
There should be enough to serve 3-4 people with this mix (depends how hungry you are!), and my top tip is to have an oven heated to 140C/120C fan to keep your burrito’s warm for serving as you assemble the rest.
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Red and 1 Yellow Pepper, chopped
- 250g of cooked chicken
- 2 x 250g packets of ready-cooked lime and coriander rice
- 400g can red kidney bean in chilli sauce
- 6 large wraps
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 100g grated cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Step one is just to make sure you’ve got all you ingredients ready, with your veg chopped and your cooked chicken in small chucks.
- Next heat up the oil in a large pan and cook the onion for about 5 minutes until soft, add in the peppers and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until tender. Lastly add the chicken, rice and the full contents of the can of kidney beans, give everything a good stir together and cook for 5 minutes until piping hot.
- To begin assembling the burritos heat a second frying pan and warm a wrap for 10 seconds (keep the pan hot as you’ll need it again!).
- Pile a portion of the rice mixture onto the centre of the wrap. Top with a little avocado and some cheese, then brush beaten egg around the edge. Fold the ends over the filling, then fold in the sides to create an envelope.
- Flatten down a little to a parcel, then return seam-side down in the hot pan. Cook for 2 mins until the underside has sealed shut and is toasted a golden brown, flip over and cook for a few mins more.
- Repeat with the remainder of your wraps and enjoy!