With February nearly upon us, some of Britain's elite swimmers have already been back in competition to kickstart their 2020 - and now Scott McLay is on hand to give us one of his favourite pre-meet meals for this week's Fuel My Friday.
McLay - who made his senior World Championships bow and then earned his first senior international medal at the European Short Course Championships last year - was back in action at the Flanders Cup on January 18th and 19th.
The University of Stirling athlete will be hoping to build on a successful season in 2019 over the coming months. But what will he be eating ahead of this year's big events?
To give us an insight, it's over to you, Scott...
Spaghetti carbonara is one meal I like to have before a competition. The bonus is that it is a quick and simple one to make!
- 200g dried spaghetti
- 3 large egg yolks
- 100g pancetta
- 50ml double cream
- 50g parmesan
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Bring a large pan of lightly-salted water to the boil and add the spaghetti until properly cooked.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan, then add the garlic and chopped pancetta.
- While spaghetti and pancetta are cooking, beat the three egg yolks and cream into a bowl, adding the parmesan - and cracked black pepper if you want.
- Once the pancetta is cooked, pour the drained spaghetti into the same pan, before adding the egg mixture. Stir/toss the mixture quickly to ensure the spaghetti is covered and until it has thickened to a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Serve, with extra parmesan and black pepper if required.