Quinoa is the perfect complete protein, great for both fuelling and recovery during those busy training days in the pool or gym.
Breaststroke specialist, Scott Quin had the honour of being flag bearer for the British team at the opening ceremony of the World Para Swimming Championships in 2019.
A medalist at Paralympic, World and European level, this week we asked the Warrender Baths Club swimmer to talk us through his tasty ‘Complete Quinoa Salad’ recipe for #FuelMyFriday
Over to you Scott…
Ok guys this recipe is quick and simple to make. I prefer to prep up the night before I plan to enjoy this tasty dish, simply so that I can pack it in some tupperware and eat lunch on the go.
- 50g quinoa
- 4 chunky cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 25g roughly of sweet potato
- 1 tsp pistachio nuts
- 1 tsp sultanas
- 1tbsp of medium curry powder
These quantities will enable you to whip up a single portion but if you want more or possibly share then simply double up.
- Step one get the oven on and heating to 200C.
- Next grab the quinoa and head to the sink to give it a good wash. Then chuck your sparkly clean quinoa in a saucepan with roughly 100ml if water and bring it to the boil. Once it’s up to a good bubbling boil turn the heat down and set a timer for about 10/15 mins to let it simmer.
- Once that’s all cooked drain off all remaining water let it cool off.
- Chopping board and knife at the ready! Slice up the cauliflower and dice the sweet potato into smaller chunks, throw them on a baking tray and sprinkle over some curry powder, drizzle on that olive oil and bang it in the heated oven for about 10 mins.
- While the veg is in the oven roughly chop the pistachio nuts.
- Final step, into a big bowl goes the cooled quinoa, roasted veg, sultanas and pistachios, give it a good old mix and enjoy!