Toni Shaw knows a thing or two about being quick - so these speedy chicken fajitas are a fitting selection for the latest Fuel My Friday entry.
The Aberdeen-based athlete enjoyed a brilliant year in the pool in 2019, securing an eye-opening six medals in her first World Para-Swimming Championships - including a pair of golds in the Women's 34pt 4x100m Medley and 34pt 4x100m Freestyle relays.
She had also set a target of going under 1:09.00 in the S9 100m Butterfly, a goal she smashed on the way to breaking the British record. Over to Toni for this week's delicious recipe...
I love this fajita Friday recipe! They are quick and easy to make, and they're great to be shared with family and friends too.
- 1 tsp salt (for seasoning)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (for seasoning)
- 1-2 tsps chilli powder (for seasoning)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (for seasoning)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (for seasoning)
- 3 medium bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 500g chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Tortilla wraps
- Mix the spices to create the fajita seasoning.
- Slice the peppers and chicken into thin strips or pieces, and chop up the onions.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the chicken, pan frying over a medium heat until it turns golden.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and then sprinkle over the seasoning mix, cooking for a further five minutes and stirring occasionally until cooked through completely.
- Serve in tortilla wraps and top with a choice of salsa, guacamole, sour cream and grated cheese.
Rob Hobson, Head of Nutrition at Healthspan says:
"Spices are a good way to get a little iron in the diet, which is especially important for female athletes as women have a higher requirement than men for this mineral (low levels can lead to tiredness and fatigue which may impact on performance). Bell peppers are one of the richest sources of vitamin C - the perfect partner for non-harm (plant) iron as it helps to maximise its absorption in the body."
To check out more of our athletes' and staff members' Fuel My Friday recipes, click HERE.