Want to volunteer at British Swimming Events? We are committed to supporting the development of volunteering within British Swimming. You don’t need to be an expert to be involved, no matter what your skillset our inclusive environment means there are opportunities for everyone to be involved.
Why volunteer? There are a number of reasons as to why individuals want to become a volunteer but we find no matter what the motivation all volunteers benefit from:
- Developing existing and new skill sets
- Helping others
- Making a difference in the community
back to the sport
There are a range of opportunities available within the national and international events that British Swimming deliver annually. Below is a summary of the various roles available that will help you in identifying how you can contribute.
- Field of Play: A key role at any event in the heart of the action. Volunteers working in the FOP are responsible for coordinating the athletes ready for their competition and organisation of all deck procedures including medal ceremonies.
These roles suit people who have good organisational and communication skills, are strong team players and able to remain calm under pressure.
- Sports Presentation: The look, sound and feel of an event is a key part of any sporting event and adds to the atmosphere and experience for athletes and spectators alike. Volunteers will be looking after the commentary team ensuring they have all the necessary athlete information and assisting in the event production.
Sports Presentation roles are suited to individuals with strong communication and time management skills and those with a creative thinking and an eye for detail.
- Front of House: As the face of the event you'll be welcoming a range of different people from athletes to VIPs and spectators, dealing with a range of enquiries. This is a busy role that also often includes managing ticket and merchandise sales so there is a large range of stakeholders to look after.
This role suits people with strong interpersonal skills, who are customer focused and able to be flexible in juggling multiple tasks.
- Recording and Technology: Got a technical mind? Then working behind the scenes in one of these vital roles may be for you. Responsible for ensuring that the times and scores of all competitions are captured and processed these teams require a range of technical expertise.
Volunteers with a good understanding of the discipline, IT and strong problem solving skills are best suited to these roles.
- Officiating: To learn more about officiating and how to become a British Swimming official please use the link below to visit our dedicated official’s page where you will find more information about the process of training and additional resources.
If you'd like more information about the roles above or you want to express an interest in becoming a volunteer at one of our upcoming events, then contact the events team:
Email: [email protected]Have a look at what events are coming up in the next few months by going to the Events and Tickets area of the website.