Want to know what fuels an Olympic medallist and World Champion? Luke Greenbank dishes up one of his favourite meals ahead of the British Swimming Championships.
Greenbank further polished his reputation on the world stage in 2021, breaking a decade old 200m Backstroke British record en route to individual podium success at the European Championships and Olympic Games, whilst also providing the key lead off leg for the Men's 4x100m Medley Relay team in major finals.
As he prepares to head into a big week of competition at Ponds Forge for April's British Swimming Championships, we asked the double Tokyo 2020 medallist to share one the meals he uses to fuel his performances in the pool. Over to you, Luke...
Whether it's the night before racing or after a long day of training, it's nice to have a couple of quick recipes up your sleeve to get in and out of the kitchen quickly but still be rewarded with a tasty nutritious meal.
- 270g penne pasta
- 225g king prawns
- 1 courgette
- 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch parsley
- 225g creme fraiche
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 150ml water
- Get started by boiling up a saucepan of water, add a pinch of salt and cook your penne for 10-12 minutes until tender. Drain in a colander and stir through a drizzle of oil to stop it sticking together.
- Meanwhile slice your courgette into roughly 1 cm half moons and cook in a large frying pan (don't add oil!) on a high heat for 3-4 minutes so that it starts to brown on both sides. Crush or grate your peeled garlic and add, stirring for a further minute.
- Mix a crushed stock cube into 150ml boiling water and with add the creme fraiche into frying pan, reducing the heat and simmering for 3-4 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir the prawns into the sauce and continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Separately roughly chop the parsley and zest the lemon, combining both in a small bowl.
- Add the penne to the sauce and toss through, adding salt and pepper to season and a squeeze of juice from the lemon.
- Serve into bowls an top with the zesty parsley garnish before tucking in!
Check out our athletes' diverse range of recipe options across on the Fuel My Friday page HERE